Sunday, May 10, 2009

A rant about friends

This is the topic I promised that didn't involve anything about hockey. I will leave that subject for a few days since it's been every single substantive subject so far (as someone so kindly pointed out to me).

I'd like to discuss for a few minutes the rules of get-togethers with your friends. Now, I'd like to think I got quite a few friends inside of my current graduate program. Some of them are closer than others, of course, but I woul like to place that number at fifteen, plus or minus about five. I tend to be a fan of hanging out at least once on the weekends so I'm not spending most of the weekend by myself, so I try to set something up starting on Tuesday or Wednesday through facebook. This way, by week's end, we've got something set to go and hopefully it's given people time to check it out and give ideas (usually a lot of these messages state 'hey, what's up... who wants to go somewhere, and if so, where and when?') It also lets people see what others are thinking, which is always good.

These messages, with a few exceptions, receive little response. Even from people I'd consider decent-good friends. I find this frustrating and terrible etiquette. Granted, sometimes the lists include people I'm extending a hand out to and be nice, but I find those even more frustrating. You genuinely try to make an effort in some way to reach out to people, but they simply ignore you for one reason or another.

So, you're asking "well, why aren't you asking them in person if you are in class with them?" Wrong, I'm not in class with all of them. Some of them I don't see during the week. I can't interact that way. Using facebook messages is the fastest way to do it. Another question you may be thinking: "Well, okay, but why not just text them or something?" Answer: I do sometimes, but sometimes even those go unanswered. Even phone calls will create the same response.

I'm sorry, friends, but until you all at the very least respond, I'm going to hesitate on pulling this trigger. I thank those of you that do respond, and I apologize to those that get tied up somehow. I mean that. But if you don't want to pay me any mind, then I suppose I won't pay you any, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment